3D Modeling and Printing
3D Printing (Modeling) takes digital data input from three-dimensional data and creates solid, three-dimensional parts through an additive process depositing molten material layer-upon-layer via inkjet or extrusion nozzle.
We fully utilize the latest in 3D Modeling and Printing Technology. These 3D Modeling techniques complement our SLS and SLA capabilities by adding different material and resolution choices.
What is 3DP?
3D printers work by 'printing' successive layers on top of the previous to build up a three dimensional object. 3D printers are generally faster, more affordable and easier to use than other additive fabrication technologies. 3D printing is optimized for speed, low cost, and ease-of-use, making it suitable for visualizing during the conceptual stages of engineering design when dimensional accuracy and mechanical strength of prototypes are less important. No toxic chemicals are required, and minimal post printing finish work is needed.
What are "Bascast" Patterns, "Quickcast" Patterns and "Thermojet" Patterns?
“Bascast” Patterns (Low or no ash residue)
"Quickcast" SLA Patterns
Bascast patterns leave significantly less or no ash residue. This is due to the proprietary base material of the pattern, Our thermoplastic burns out cleanly under controlled conditions. These properties allow the "Bascast" patterns to be used not only as a design study but also as lost master patterns. "Bascast" patterns are produced exclusively on InVision XT 3D printers.
Quickcast SLA patterns are indicated when larger patterns with high degree of detail is required. "Quickcast" patterns are produced on our SLA 5000 Stereolithography machines.
Thermojet wax patterns are incredibly diverse.” Wax molds are traditionally used mainly in investment casting. Thermojet patterns are waxed directly. Embedded in a mold, the parts are then exposed to high furnace temperatures where the heat melts the wax.
We enhance our rapid prototyping processes by offering reproductions, both plastic and metal, as well as rapid prototype tooling options. Here is a list of services we provide:
- 3DP - 3D Printing and Modeling Casting Patterns ("Bascast" Low/No Ash)
- 3DP - 3D Printing and Modeling Prototypes
- RTV - RTV Molding / Urethane Reproductions
- RTV - Urethane Assembly and Inspection Fixtures
- SLA - Stereolithography Prototypes
- SLA - Stereolithography Casting Patterns (QuickCast)
- SLS - Selective Laser Sintering "Duraform" Rapid Prototypes
- SLS - Selective Laser Sintering "CastForm" Investment Casting Patterns
- SLS - Selective Laser Sintering "LaserForm" Metal Rapid Prototypes
- SRP - Subtractive Rapid Prototyping
- Thermojet Wax Casting Patterns
- Advanced Part Finishing: Painting/Clearcoating/Etc.
- Full Model Mockups and Class A Trade Show Displays
Description of Technologies:
- InVision XT: Builds SLA like prototypes and patterns with high precision. This technology utilizes a melt away wax support and layer thickness of .0015" to build a stable, smooth and cost effective pattern and prototype.
Can generate "Bascast" low ash patterns for investment casting.
- Typical use: Small highly detailed parts and patterns for RTV Molding
- InVision LD: Entry Level RP machine which builds a durable part by laminating and cutting PVC Sheet.
- Typical use: Low cost prototypes and parts with living hinges
- Thermojet: Builds wax prototypes and patterns suitable for investment casting patterns.
- Typical use: Small and low cost Investment Casting Patterns that do not require the precision or high end requirements of SLA Quickcast Patterns
- MDX-40 CNC Mill: The MDX-40 is a small but fully functional 3-axis CNC Mill designed for SRP (Subtractive Rapid Prototyping). This mill is designed to cut plastics, tooling boards, epoxy materials and wax.
- Typical use: Prototypes and small run production parts which must be made from a production material. Also used for cutting tooling and fixtures out of tooling boards or epoxy board.
- V-Flash: This revolutionary new machine is low cost 3D Modeling Rapid Prototyping Machine by 3D Systems. It builds economical SLA like RP parts and patterns.
- Typical use: Small and low cost prototype parts and patterns.